Founded in 1888 by a group of London Commuters on land leased from Lord Radnor on, what was then, land on the outskirts of the town. (now occupied by the Lynwood Estate).
In the picture below. Sugar Loaf Hill is the centre back and the line of trees below it was the New Road but is now Churchill Avenue.
Originally 9 holes from 1888 to 1908 when the course was increased to 18 holes and formally opened by A. J. Balfour. All that remains of the old course is a 9 hole par 3 course, designed by Charles Whiting which is now part of the Folkestone Sports Centre.